30.4.11

Chosen But Free

In the book, Chosen But Free by Norman Geisler, Geisler makes some interesting points about how as believer we are chosen and at the same time free. I agree with a lot of the stuff Norman says in the book. He has a lot of Scripture and just natural, obvious thinking that he does to reach conclusions. Something that I really like that he does a lot throughout the book is distinguish between a mystery and a contradiction. I like that he shows the difference between the two and shows in the different views of Calvinism and Arminianism something can be contradictory. I like that he shows how reading into a text can make it contradictory with the rest of Scripture, not a mystery. I also like how he tells of the Bible verse that says for us to avoid contradictions. This book was a nice reminder of God’s nature and who He is and how we need to be careful to remember who God says He is and to not make contradictions.
I agree with Geisler’s view about being chosen in the sense that God knew that we were likely to be persuaded to come to know Him, so in that sense we were chosen. I really liked his analogy of the man who can choose between two women to marry. One he knows will never say yes, no matter how hard he tries to persuade her, and the other he knows that eventually, with some persuading, she will fall in love with him and agree to marry him. I really like this analogy he used, I think real life situations wonderfully reflect God and how God can often work considering He made the world and, therefore, a lot in the world probably works in tandem with how God works.
            I also agree with Geisler in that we are free, but God knows the decisions we will make. I believe that God does not force me to make any decision and that I make decisions on my own. I can be persuaded, but the decision is mine to make.
            The only thing I am still not quite sure about, although Geisler makes a good argument, is whether when we are saved if we will always be saved. I feel like although he explains things well, it is a subject I will need to research more on my own through reading the Scriptures before I can make my own decision on what I think God is saying. I understand Geisler’s view, I just don’t know that I necessarily agree with it all. I think it is a rather confusing topic, especially considering the author’s meaning in a particular passage is not always understood. I hope to someday be able to make my own decision on it, because I do think it is a rather important topic for every believer to make a decision of their own based on searching the Scriptures themselves.

Geisler, Norman L. Chosen but Free: a Balanced View of God's Sovereignty and Free  Will. 3rd ed. Minneapolis, MN: Bethany House, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment